F-150 Raptor Forums banner

Trans 'freezing' In Gear

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Digger Dave 
#1 ·
Got a new one - Periodically, when driving in 'Sport' mode, and usually fairly soon after a cold start, the truck will accelerate and shift normally until it 'sticks' in a specific gear, usually 6 or 7.

If I slow down and even stop, it doesn't downshift, and when you start out, it slips the converter to get going. If you attempt to shift with the paddles or toggle on the shifter, there is no effect, and even the 'max gear' on the screen doesn't change. I've put it in Manual mode, and while the display responds, the trans doesn't shift. Stopping, and putting it in Park or even changing the drive mode (to Normal, or Weather) doesn't make a difference.

The only recovery is to stop, shut the truck down, open a door to disconnect the accessory power, and then reboot and restart. Then the truck behaves normally for the remainder of the run.

It doesn't happen often (yet), but no faults or codes.. Anybody else seen this?

#3 ·
My 2018 does the the same thing. Sport mode on pavement, hard acceleration up to~40 mph, let off on the gas, and the truck stays spooled up in a way lower gear, won't upshift. Took the Ford shop foreman for a ride, he acknowledged and noted the problem, said Ford has no fix. Bulis+hit!

Truck thinks it's off-road on dirt and anticipates the next hard throttle. Truck should be smarter...

#4 ·
Saw the upshift lag after hard acceleration to keep the turbos spooled up, and it is definitely a long time.

Once 'hung', mine never upshifted or downshifted from 7th, even at a standstill, which made starting out a reaallly long ordeal. So you stop, shut down and restart.

Finally happened again on the way home from work Friday, and got a trouble code. Dealer diagnosed it as a bad output shaft speed sensor. Parts are due tomorrow, so we'll see.

#5 ·
Took four days to get the correct gasket and seal kit. Got the sensor installed, and the trans appeared to be behaving normally (better even), until 1 day after picking it up - Got up to speed on a highway, and white smoke out the back.. Pulled over to see trans fluid drooling on the exhaust crossover and crossmember. Limped it back to the dealer, and now waiting to see whether it burped or blew a seal.

#6 ·
Okay, epilogue for now.. Apparently the fill process on the 10 speed isn't detailed to the point the dealer needs, as they overfilled it, and when I got it hot, it burped (remember this from the '70's?). Dealer had to drain down some fluid after getting it hot, and hose off the bottom of my truck. So far so good for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.