Transfer Case/drive Line Issue

Discussion in 'GEN 1' started by Chachadinga, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Chachadinga

Chachadinga New Member

Vehicle?:
    2014 Scab
    Color?:
    Oxford White
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    My truck has developed a clunk when shifting between park and drive, when shifting from 1st to 2nd, when down shifting, and when coming to a stop and go in traffic. I took the truck to the dealer and they replaced a solenoid in the transmission, or atlas thats what my paperwork says. After getting the truck back with the same issue, I took a peek for my self. The issue seems to be coming from the transfer case. See attached video.

This truck has had drive line issues before, mainly the read riff and the slip yoke clunk everyone has experienced. I have ruled out both of those issues. The truck has 42,000 miles on it.

Any insight on the issue is appreciated before I try the dealer again.

2. LZinAZ

LZinAZ New Member Military

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    From your video it doesn't appear to be the u-joints but be sure to check them closely.

I've purchased the Helm CD-ROM and clipped this from it to illustrate the chain drive inside the transfer case. upload_2018-3-20_22-28-43.png

You were on a very busy street when recording your video so you might want to get to a quieter location. If you have a stethoscope try poking the probe in different locations on the case near the seam where the two halves bolt together; maybe remove the top filler bolt and listen inside. You can see in the picture the chain is located near the break. If you don't have the scope you can try a long screwdriver held up to your ear but the metal part has to be on the case end. In either case, someone will need to rotate the driveshaft back and forth to duplicate the sound just like in the video. I'm not sure I'm hearing it correctly but the it sort of sounds like the slack in the chain might be being pulled taunt.

I would think you'd have a lot more noise if a tooth is shaved off one of those sprockets or a link was coming loose--not sure I want to guess. Possibly the chain has stretched or if the sprockets are coated in plastic, to make them quieter, some of the plastic has chipped off. I'm not sure they put plastic on these gears but they used to do it on timing gears in the motor. The parts list on the CD doesn't specify. I've seen chunks come out when the fluid is drained so if you are up to it try draining the fluid but you'll have to have some fresh on-hand to refill it. Be sure the container you drain the fluid into is something you can drag your fingers thru to feel for plastic or metal parts. Check the owner's manual for proper fluid to use.

In any event, not sure anyone outside a shop wants to tackle pulling it and checking the chain. The procedure lists about a dozen special tools needed to re-do the works on the inside. I've got about 54K on my 2014 SCREW and don't think I'm hearing what you are describing. You could see if the dealership can check the chain but don't think it is still under warranty unless you purchased something extra. (Always thought Ford should up their warranty to at least 5 years and 75K or higher; especially since they say they have the best trucks.)

upload_2018-3-20_23-7-37.png
    This chart comes from the CD also. You might want to check all these to be on the safe side. None of the entries mentioned a clunk.

Not sure this is much help but thought I'd put something on the wire for you. Good luck with this,
    LZinAZ

kel.meeks likes this.
  3. Chachadinga

Chachadinga New Member

Vehicle?:
    2014 Scab
    Color?:
    Oxford White
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I know the traffic noise does not help, 5 O'clock traffic is bad in my area.

I changed the T case fluid maybe 10k miles ago and didn't notice anything in the fluid. Put Ford's recommended fluid back in and filled to the proper level. Looking at the diagram you've provided, the only logical part would be the chain. I can't see if that spring is a chain tensioner, but to me is sounds like the chain is rubbing on that spring and causing the "ratcheting" noise.

The truck is still under power train warranty, but I doubt Ford is going to pull a T case apart or replace it if nothing is catastrophically wrong. I do know really good transmission guy here in Houston, Maybe I'll see if he knows whats wrong.

4. Chachadinga

Chachadinga New Member

Vehicle?:
    2014 Scab
    Color?:
    Oxford White
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    After stewing over this all day, I decided to start with the basics and 100% confirm the obvious wasn't an issue. Pulled the drive shaft to check the u joints and they were fine. I dug through my chemical bin and found some left over Ford PTFE grease from when I went through the "Ford clunk" issue like so many others. Greased the hell out of the slip yoke and took it around the block just to see. The previous felt "driveline play" is now an intermittent issue. Now it only happens when shifting from 1st to 2nd and the RPMs are matched so there is no strain on the drive line.

Although my driveline symptoms were not similar to most "Ford clunk" symptoms, I think I fixed it enough not to bother me and I now know the transfer case isn't an issue (for now).

kel.meeks likes this.
  5. LZinAZ

LZinAZ New Member Military

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Glad to hear it is resolved to your satisfaction! When you say "Greased the hell out of the slip yoke and took it around the block just to see." I take it to mean the splines of the yoke on the rear of the transfer case. I've noticed my '14 SCREW transfer case output shaft seal has a minor leak around the yoke so when I repair it I'll duplicate your efforts lube the splines also. Good effort but now you have to pay yourself for the labor!

6. Chachadinga

Chachadinga New Member

Vehicle?:
    2014 Scab
    Color?:
    Oxford White
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Not the splines on the transfer case output shaft or male part, I greased the slip yoke female part. Just buy the Ford PTFE grease and use popsicle sticks to coat the inside.

I wouldn't say I resolved the issue, but I at least made the issue quieter to where it doesn't bother me as much. There is still play in the drive line somewhere (now I'm pretty sure its in the rear diff), but the sticking slip yoke was causing the play to sound like a really big issue.