F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today our left turn signal started running fast like we had a blown bulb. Checked both of the bulbs, no issue. Checked the fuses, they were fine. I pulled the Putco switchblade light bar, no change. Pulled the relay, no change, pulled the right side relay to try to replicate the issue without success.

The rear turn signals and break light wires are just dead. I tried to trace them to the fuse box, but with wiring harnesses they way they are, all I could do was scan for damage. The odd thing is it is only the back left turn signals/breaks that are out. The front, and side mirror lights still work fine.

Driving lights still work. I'm at a loss, and will just have to take it to the dealer for repairs if no one has any suggestions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After much more searching I think it may be the BCM. I don't know if the Putco light bar put extra pressure on it to cause it to short. Luckily it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My truck does this intermittenly since I put on a fab fours bumper with the extra built turn signals.
It only does it on the right side. I noticed if I turn on the blinker and it's blinking fast, I bump the turn signal once to shut it off, then again to turn it back on and it works fine.
I'm thinking it has something to do with the extra current draw on the system, with the added bulbs. I'm going to try and put led bulbs in the bumper to see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealership uninstalled all of my add-ins to try to prove it was something I did, but the issue is persisting. It was something that happened occasionally before we put any mods on, so we think the module was half dead when we got the truck. It has been in the shop since Tuesday morning, but we haven't heard back from them to know when we might be getting it back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No real surprise, the dealership blamed me for installing the led light bar, claiming it was the cause of the BCM failure. Then threatened to void my warranty if I reinstalled it anywhere but the trailer light harness. However, the retailer I bought it from told me that installing it there would cause an error code in the trailer light/break controls. I still think the BCM was failing since the issue was existing (though it was intermittent) before the original install and ran fine for a week before the total failure. It's a shame I really like this light bar, otherwise I would just take the $250 lost and pitch it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Have you checked your third brake light on top of cab? Mine was shorted out and acting up causing blinker to sometimes act up and draining battery. Replaced it and haven’t had issues since.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you checked your third brake light on top of cab? Mine was shorted out and acting up causing blinker to sometimes act up and draining battery. Replaced it and haven’t had issues since.
Thanks! The dealer continuously blamed the Putko Switchblade. But I haven't had any issues since I rewired it through the trailer hitch harness. If it comes back that will be the first thing I check.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My truck does this intermittently since I put on a fab fours bumper with the extra built in turn signals.
It only does it on the right side. I noticed if I turn on the blinker and it's blinking fast, I bump the turn signal once to shut it off, then again to turn it back on and it works fine.
I'm thinking it has something to do with the extra current draw on the system, with the added bulbs. I'm going to try and put led bulbs in the bumper to see if that changes anything.

Update: Since I put the leds in the bumper turn signals, I never had the fast blinking again. Going on 6 weeks now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The led upgrades are on out to-do list (a long with better headlights.....the stock headlights are my only complaint with this truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts