F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

I wasn't surprised at my reaction when I saw the Raptor via the showroom floor. The Raptor is an awesome Truck in person! It was black w/graphics (I didn't want graphics) but they look good on the black model. Had every last option available and only 68 miles on it. Orange seats and trim (I also didn't want) but they look very good in person. Can't say enough good things about this truck overall.

However, I thought it had a tire PSI guage like my GC SRT where I can monitor all 4 tires in real time by pressing a switch on my steering wheel. Same switch also shows oil temp, miles, system warnings, oil PSI etc on my Jeep. Not the case on the Raptor. None of the switchs on the steering wheel (steering wheel is awesome btw) control any of the vehicle info ie tire psi, oil life, oil temp etc etc. You know the old school push buttons to reset the trip meter or check the milage located on the face of the gauge cluster....well, that obsolete technology is on this truck AND that is what you use to scroll through vehicle info. :smiledown: It Was not user friendly and frankly a pain to deal with...we were in park so I can only image trying to do it while driving! We never found the Tire PSI meter fyi. The salesman assumed it is basically a feature where if a tire is low, a light pops up.

Spare tire was matching ie tire AND wheel. This was a plus. The engine brake mounted on the dash was very cool with + and - buttons to set the tow weight and regulate braking power. It also had sway assist. Touch screen Nav was great and had a massive screen. Back up camera and sunroof...great. The bed extender feature was also a first for me to see and very cool.

Back seat is kinda small though. If the people riding up front move up far enough, those in back will be ok. The bottom seat you sit on isn't that long so you have a lot of leg "over hang" w/no support. Wouldn't be fun on a long ride unless it was a small child.

Front grill and overall look is insane! the 5.4 engine bay looks good but no "harness" to keep the battery in place, that I could see. My concern is if I jump it at 80mph here in the desert... will the battery go flying? Maybe it locks in place from underneath?? No gas cap is required and taked E85 or reg gas. No gas cap, that was also a first for me. What if you were driving in water (had a snorkle) and it went in to the tank somehow?? Atleast put a lock on the fuel door or something.

The only option it didn't have was a bedliner. This was surprising since it had eveything else added That's an easy fix. The dealer adds it's own alarm system (maybe made by Ford) to the original key fob, didn't come with it. Another way to make a buck I guess. Rubber Flor mats in front and rear, large middle console AND a cigerette lighter! HAHA. This is huge for me since the last two cars I bought didn't come with one or an ashtrey. What's the world coming to. Oh ya, it had an ashtrey in it to, for a smoker these are great features. ;)

Will cover more details tomorrow after this long winded update. My salesman was cool but lacked creativity to get me in the deal. Trying a few other purchase options tomorrow (that I thought of) to try an make it work. Like, trade my fiance's car and let her have my jeep and I get the truck. :smileup: They are ALSO going to take it off the showroom floor and let me test drive it tomorrow! :wow:

I'll go back just to test drive it and give a full road trek update. Otherwise though, I don't think the deal will work. They are only giving me 23k for my '08 GC SRT-8 Jeep. That is nuts, I paid almost 50k for it two years ago. It's in mint condition, low miles, every option imaginable (more than the truck and most cars) could go on and on. Not just saying this b/c it's my car, it really is everything one could ask for ACCEPT you can't go offroad and adding a tow package ruins the center exhaust look. If anyone wants to buy it, let me know. Will pay for shipping.

The dealer didn't offer the "d" plan "x" plan nada. Invoice is 47k but they marked it up to 57k! They just sold the orange one on the lot yesterday for 57k so they aren't willing to let it go fo rmuch less. Gonna have to beat 'em up a little more. :box2:

Bottom line, I want a 6.2 model and will probably wait it out. That was honeslty the only thing that kept me from doing something today that my better half would have slapped me for doing today. She's a nice gal. Will be more expensive though. Sucks.

One peice of advise non Raptor owners who want a 6.2 or even a 5.4....don't temp yourselves by going to check out the raptor unless you are ready to buy. It's like dangling a 92oz T-Bone steak in front of a hungry bear....you want in no matter what. If the deal won't work to my liking, won't do it and wait/save up for the 6.2.

Lastly, if you are in the market for either the 5.4, 6.2 or even a truck in general I would highly suggest this truck over the rest. The only one that came close, even though not as capable off road--is the new Dodge Ram 1500 Sport or Laramie fully loaded. That's it for now guys, hope you didn't mind the length of my update.

Take Care,

D. Wraith

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guess the low down on my trip to the dealer was to long.. Sorry everyone. Just sending out as much info as possible so you guys are aware.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nope, was a good read. Wish I was closer to Palm Desert, I really want to have a look at one in-person.

I had no idea about the no-gas-cap. How did that get by the EPA / CARB??

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I finally saw one a few days ago, now that i have that out of my system, it won`t be too bad waiting for the 6.2. My dealer has the #2 truck off of the assembly line, the first one was sold at auction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nope, was a good read. Wish I was closer to Palm Desert, I really want to have a look at one in-person.

I had no idea about the no-gas-cap. How did that get by the EPA / CARB??
The no-gas-cap has a flap that flips shut and seals when you pull the fuel filler out. The flap/door stays locked shut unless you put a fuel filler in it. Personally I would rather have a regular gas cap. If a seal goes bad you just replace the seal around the outside of the cap. If a seal goes bad on this it seems like it would be a bigger pain to replace.

If for any reason this system or any other part of the fuel system gets a leak (even a tiny ~0.5mm leak) it will trip a check engine light.

The biggest reason they put the no-gas-cap systems on cars is because lots of people forget to put the gas cap on after gassing up or they don't tighten it down all the way. That will trip a check engine light for an EVAP/fuel system leak. Even though it is a simple problem getting a MIL on the dash makes people thing their car is problematic and is bad for customer perception. So as a fix they do no-gas-cap systems.

Yes, they are somewhat more convenient but the reason above is the main reason for the system. They are also fairly expensive for the automakers compared to a standard cap system.

D. Wraith- A friend of mine who lives in Rancho Mirage just got a new F150. He didn't have much luck with the local desert dealers so he went up to Yucca Valley Ford and ordered it from James Scheer. I'm not affiliated in any way with that dealer or him. He just seemed to have good luck with him and got a pretty good deal. Might be worth calling him.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The no-gas-cap has a flap that flips shut and seals when you pull the fuel filler out. The flap/door stays locked shut unless you put a fuel filler in it. Personally I would rather have a regular gas cap. If a seal goes bad you just replace the seal around the outside of the cap. If a seal goes bad on this it seems like it would be a bigger pain to replace.

If for any reason this system or any other part of the fuel system gets a leak (even a tiny ~0.5mm leak) it will trip a check engine light.

The biggest reason they put the no-gas-cap systems on cars is because lots of people forget to put the gas cap on after gassing up or they don't tighten it down all the way. That will trip a check engine light for an EVAP/fuel system leak. Even though it is a simple problem getting a MIL on the dash makes people thing their car is problematic and is bad for customer perception. So as a fix they do no-gas-cap systems.

Yes, they are somewhat more convenient but the reason above is the main reason for the system. They are also fairly expensive for the automakers compared to a standard cap system.

D. Wraith- A friend of mine who lives in Rancho Mirage just got a new F150. He didn't have much luck with the local desert dealers so he went up to Yucca Valley Ford and ordered it from James Scheer. I'm not affiliated in any way with that dealer or him. He just seemed to have good luck with him and got a pretty good deal. Might be worth calling him.

Thanks for the info, will give James a call. I touched base with my dealer this morning and said (out of courtesy) not to worry with pulling it out for a test drive b/c there is no logical way the deal would work. He seemed to favor my honesty. I'm just gonna wait to test drive/buy a 6.2 since the only thnig that's different is the powertrain. Hopefully, the 6.2 will have a beafy trans + manu-shift. Fingers Crossed......

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing I forgot to look at was the hood vents an see from underneath the hood if they were actually functional. Can someone please confirm if they are functional or simply exterior cosmetics?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I finally saw one a few days ago, now that i have that out of my system, it won`t be too bad waiting for the 6.2. My dealer has the #2 truck off of the assembly line, the first one was sold at auction.

RH67, What is your Dealers name? Just curious how do they know that it is the second Raptor Built? Does it have Vin # 000002 or something

Thanks

AFRAPTOR

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It`s Galpin Ford they always get the low Vin #`s, they got the first GT-40`s and the first Mustang ever built. Talk to John Turner.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Please don't pay 57k ........... you are an hour and a half drive from San Diego. Get one here for MSRP. Kearny Ford has a fully loaded Orange one coming in this week at 47k. call Dan Allen at 800-770-1231

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think this was a great writeup on your experience! Thank you for sharing it with us!
No Prob. Happy to share. One other thing. The side steps are very cool but, Kinda hard to navigate around when exiting. I'm 6'2 with long legs and felt like I had to "hop" over the step when getting out in the showroom. Still a cool truck though!!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I tried out the 2010 Dodge Hemi set up before I bought my Tundra with the 5.7 L/381 HP but it out pulled the Hemi with 390 HP. The Raptor out pulls them both. My kid Brother did buy the Hemi though out of loyalty to Dodge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts