F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea if they’re gonna make a 2021 v8? I have a 2017 raptor and am looking to trade it in for a 202, but would rather wait another year for a v8. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
1,585 Posts
Doubt anyone has a conclusive answer on that - minus the close hold Ford engineers/designers/etc. I saw some articles around JUN 2019 that suggested the Raptor could be getting a V8. There is somewhat a running debate on the pros/cons of Ford using a V8 in the Raptor vs the current 6 banger. Mileage/power/turbo or not/ weight/ etc, etc. I would hold on to the 2017 until we definitively know what the upcoming years will bring. Shouldn't be long before we know for sure on 2021. With Ram’s Rebel TRX offering a Hellcat, Ford may just come to the table with a V8 for the Raptor.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I feel like we need a supercharger V8 to compete with that TRX Ram but the current Raptor will destroy anything Dodge can produce. The only thing I saw was the deletion of the Supercrew and the introduction of a Hybrid EcoBoost V-6. Lincoln is currently running a 500 hp V6 Hybrid EcoBoost. It has a 100 hp electronic motor assisting a 400 HP Bi-Turbo V6. If we see a V8 in the near future, it'll be the new Godzilla engine from Windsor. If we get a boosted V8, it'll be the 5.2 Supercharged VOODOO engine from the GT500 AND.... it'll be about a $15,000 option. We can all hope and pray for a V8 Raptor, but I wouldn't wait on it. Honestly, I think Ford should keep the current Raptor for 2021. This year has been a disaster, don't bother retooling the factory. Keep the current truck and the current engine but build us a Godzilla Power Raptor in 2022 :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone have any idea if they’re gonna make a 2021 v8? I have a 2017 raptor and am looking to trade it in for a 202, but would rather wait another year for a v8. Thoughts?
Yo Kase. I have a 600Hp gen 1 ecoboost i spent $10k on upgrading. Maybe more like $15k. :oops:If i had it to do all over again i would have dropped a 700hp 625lbsTQ supercharged coyote crate motor into it instead. Turbo lag sucks. It’s like i have a 2 stroke truck. And when the powerband hits It’s mayhem. But my build journey was a slow progression $1000 at a time over a couple years.
Next time I’ll save $ first. . My point is- I’d rather have a V8, and boy do i wish Ford would put one in the new raptors. And we all know they’d sell.
But There’s a much bigger picture at play here. A few factors.1) Ca. Emissions and the CARB board. Think about this one - 33% of the USA lives in CA. 50% of CA lives in SOCAL. therefore CARB has a big influence on the main audience for these trucks as far as volume for FORD STATESIDE. but the real issue is: 2) 80% (or so) of RAPTOR sales are in CHINA. Hard to believe but it’s true. And China has a BAN on vehicles with engines greater than 3.5L. Hence the 3.5L ecoboost. China will be further restricting size options due to them finally catching up on pollution control, so there’s your 2.7L ecoboost explained. Politically, the EPA has Ford “by the nuts” over here, and now in China.
Ford has also dropped Millions into the ecoboost platform and they’re really hanging their hat on this engine as seen as the LA AUTO SHOW This year.
So, in my observation, a V8 is just nowhere near a possibility for Ford, who view their ecoboost as a replacement for antiquated technology. The fact that there’s a Raptor hybrid just shows you that there’s a lot of “under 40” execs holding the reigns over there, moving toword saving the planet.
i fell prey to the whole 7.0L (427) rumor a couple years ago, but it’s just not economical for ford, unlike Dodge who know they own a much smaller, power hungry Crowd in global auto sales, so they go ahead and really lean into the niche market of people like us who still value the power and rumble of a good ole American V8.
Bummer deal about the raptor V8 though. . Hold onto your 6.2L if you got one! No shutting off at stoplights for THOSE engines!! And I’m looking forward to the next rumor to circle 👍🏼

1 - 5 of 5 Posts