Votes: 16 7.1%
  • Not listed

Votes: 5 2.2%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many brands of oil available for us to buy and this might help members decide on what brand to choose. I have my favorite due to oil analysis reports I have review and what works for my engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Right now, in my Shelby, I use the Motorcraft 5W-50 full synthetic, as recommended in the factory manual. There are only a handful of companies that make the 5W-50 synthetic to the correct spec for the Shelbys. Not sure what the 5.4L will need for the Raptor, but I've had nothing but great experience with the Motorcraft oil.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The partly synthetic 5-20 that came in my mustang has been known to break down under hard track days. After 5k miles I switched to fully synthetic motocraft and then to Mobil 1.

·
Registered
101 Posts
After breaking in motors with dino-oil, I use Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic...and not that 5W crap FoMoCo is pushing...that's just for them to meet their govt.-mandated MPG requirements...you won't see any noticable difference in MPG, but all added together, it helps Ford meet requirements. I use Amsoil in my H-D because it's air-cooled and the temps here are HOT!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Running Ford Motorcraft in mine, I'm actually a Mobil 1 man, but why not run a good oil that was made for Ford vehicles and its cheaper

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mobil One FS, I use it in all cars....Amsoil in the bikes....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use Amsoil in everything, from the chainsaw to the vehicles. Always had good luck with it. Works really good in my "toys"

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here are the technical facts behind 5W-20 and 0W-20 oil specs:

Question: My owners manual specifies 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil. Do I really need to use 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil and why did my 2000 model year vehicle require a 5W-30 oil, while the exact same engine in my 2001, 2002 and newer engines "requires" a 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil?

Answer: NO! You do not need to use a 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil. Do not let your dealer scare you by telling you that you have to use 5W-20 oil for your warranty. That is a tactic that some dealerships use to scare customers. Once you know the facts and the Federal Magnusson Moss Act law, you will be much better informed to protect your rights and use the type of fluids you want to use.

The main reason 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil was specified for your engine is to increase the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) reported to the Federal Government. CAFE is the combined average fuel economy of all of a vehicle manufacturers product line. Minimum CAFE levels are specified by the Federal Government. In order for a vehicle manufacturer to continue selling profitable large trucks and SUV's, which typically have poor fuel mileage ratings, as compared to smaller cars, and still meet mandated CAFE requirements, they must also sell enough of the smaller cars which have much better fuel economy ratings to offset the poor fuel economy ratings of the larger vehicles. For model year 2001, the change to a 5W-20 oil will allow Honda and Ford's overall CAFE to increase by a very small amount, typically in the tenths of a mile per gallon range. 5W-20 oil is a lighter viscosity than a 5W-30 oil and therefore has less internal engine frictional losses, or less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain, which in turn promotes increased fuel economy. This increased fuel economy is virtually undetectable to the average motorist without the use of specialized engine monitoring and testing equipment under strictly controlled test track driving when compared to a 5W-30, 10W-30 or a 0W-30 viscosity motor oil.

Read more: http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm#ixzz1JMBwAHbN

·
Registered
696 Posts
I use Amsoil in everything, from the chainsaw to the vehicles. Always had good luck with it. Works really good in my "toys"
Man how do you it lol I have two vehicles and a Polaris RZR and pain to keep up using AMSOIL, price and all but will keep doing so far very happy with it :smileup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Man how do you it lol I have two vehicles and a Polaris RZR and pain to keep up using AMSOIL, price and all but will keep doing so far very happy with it :smileup:
I'm a dealer and the warehouse is about 20 miles from me so no shipping, that helps a lot. Makes it a lot more worth it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yea I would say being so close a big help lol wish I was

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mobil 1 is my preferred brand. It is good enough to be the Official Motor Oil of N.A.S.C.A.R., and the factory-fill for many performance and exotic cars, so that is good enough for me. :smileup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts