F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are 5 best waxes for a glossy, wet look for a black Ford F-150. This story is originally reprinted from TorqueNews.com and is written by Mary Conway.

After investing all that money in a beautiful truck, what is the best way to keep it looking new? Truck fans offer their favorites for the 5 best waxes and sealants for a glossy, wet look for the black Ford F-150.
The best way to keep any vehicle looking new is to protect the paint finish. Just last week, a Ford F-150 owner named Sam asked, “I have a black F-150, and would like to know - based on members' actual use - which wax would result in the most wet/slick look?”

The answers started pouring in with a number of different suggestions, many based on keeping the perfect black finish. An owner named CW from southwest Michigan suggests using a sealant. “Sealants are also sometimes called "synthetic waxes" and are known for their glossy appearance. A natural wax, Carnauba, generally will give you a deeper and "warmer" gloss. I use the Klasse sealant on a black Solstice and like the looks.”

Greg from Tennessee has had great luck with a Turtle Wax product called Jet Black. “Its contains a thicker "pre-wax" you use first, then the carnauba wax final prep. The wax itself IS black (use gloves). Its a kit with 4 bottles (2 bottles of detailer).Leaves a very smooth glassy finish.”

·
2,643 Posts
IMG_5362.JPG
For under the hood I use a product called engine prep by Armerol . Makes all the rubber look new. On the exterior I clay bar and then Nanoskin for a awesome shine.

IMG_6261.JPG

On the leather I use a cleaner and then a leather protectant. Everything else I use Armerol. On the tires I use wet tire.
IMG_0630.PNG

Last year I coated the undercarriage with Amsoil H/D metal protectant still looking good I'll probably apply another application in the spring.
IMG_6144.jpg

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yo Bill..........

Mine has already got her first dose of "DESERT RACING STRIPES" thanks to hauling ass in the Baja Mode last weekend and yesterday. Scraping nasty desert shrubs and trees is SOP out here. Most common is the Creosote Bush, a ten foot tall skinny branched shrub that leaves a scratch infused with a waxy oil that requires something like deadly methel-etheyl-keytone to dissolve it, number two is the Palo Verde Tree with no left over sap but good deep scratches, number three and the worst is the Ironwood Tree, this one, true to it's name leaves it's PERMANENT marks that will last till yer Raptor is with us no longer.

I think that the final clear coat from the factory does a pretty good job on these trucks.

JJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had good luck with a few different waxes I get from www.chemicalguys.com. I've used the Butter Wet Wax, Carnuba Creme Wax, as well as the car wash soap. They have an aerosol spray called "black on black" that works great on the exterior black plastic Ford loves. It's not greasy at all. The VRP dressing also works great on that black plastic, put a little on a microfiber cloth and rub it in. I've used both on tires and it works pretty good too.

I like the different waxes I've used bc they glide on easy and come off quick and with little "elbow grease".

That site has a ton of stuff for interior, exterior, you name it. I haven't been disappointed in any of it yet.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
barbie.png
Here are 5 best waxes for a glossy, wet look for a black Ford F-150. This story is originally reprinted from TorqueNews.com and is written by Mary Conway.

After investing all that money in a beautiful truck, what is the best way to keep it looking new? Truck fans offer their favorites for the 5 best waxes and sealants for a glossy, wet look for the black Ford F-150.
The best way to keep any vehicle looking new is to protect the paint finish. Just last week, a Ford F-150 owner named Sam asked, “I have a black F-150, and would like to know - based on members' actual use - which wax would result in the most wet/slick look?”

The answers started pouring in with a number of different suggestions, many based on keeping the perfect black finish. An owner named CW from southwest Michigan suggests using a sealant. “Sealants are also sometimes called "synthetic waxes" and are known for their glossy appearance. A natural wax, Carnauba, generally will give you a deeper and "warmer" gloss. I use the Klasse sealant on a black Solstice and like the looks.”

Greg from Tennessee has had great luck with a Turtle Wax product called Jet Black. “Its contains a thicker "pre-wax" you use first, then the carnauba wax final prep. The wax itself IS black (use gloves). Its a kit with 4 bottles (2 bottles of detailer).Leaves a very smooth glassy finish.”

I used this stuff once, it did a great job, was a lot of work, I'm so damn lazy though, I wish I had a Barbie to wax my truck for me everyday

Reactions: Big Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like using Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax for glossy glossyt-look effect.
As for a "wax" there really is none better and EASIER TO USE than this Pinnacle Sovereign wax. Yes, it's expensive, but it literally wipes on and wipes off and will make a black or any color just beautiful. Did I mention it's easy to use? I use it on my fun cars...911 and M3. You will not regret the purchase. The small container goes a LONG way, just a thin layer is all you need, any more is a waste.

On the Raptor (black), I daily drive it. So fitting through our local tunnel wash was a big deal...fits fine although the new BFGs with the side tread want to climb out of the track so I need to pay attention. :) On a daily driver I probably won't use a the expensive wax, I typically run it through the wash, drive the highway home to dry it, then use Griot's spray wax to touch up the water spot areas, looks great when it's done. This spray wax has cleaners in it and is great for removing bugs and other stuff. Once it's clean and dry or it gets dusty in a few days, I can dry clean it with Pinnacle Crystal Mist...this really puts a gloss back on it and removes the dust streak free. You'll need to buy some GOOD microfiber towels to use these spray cleaners!! Do not use cheap towels on a black vehicle, you'll make a mess out of it. The Pinnacle does not have cleaners, it's more of a lubricant to help lift the dust off and leave a gloss finish, so it won't really do much for bugs. But once you get used to using it, how much to spray, how to fold and turn your towel to keep it clean, it really is a quick way to freshen it up if it's just dusty. This cleaning method was completely foreign to me 4 years ago, I couldn't wrap my head around how this could actually work, but it's great. Just experiment with how much to use, less is more.

Interior I love Griot's interior cleaner, you can use the cheaper microfiber for the interior and wheels, rockers, fenders, etc. Keep these towels separate from the ones you use on paint! The leather seats I'm not sure on yet in this vehicle. I like Leathertique Pristine Clean if the seats are dirty. Leather is a whole other topic! 303 is probably the best "armor all" type protectant there is. I use that and Griot's. I don't like the shellacked look of the ultra glossy tires, so I use a little 303 or Griots on the tires, apply with a sponge and wipe off excess. Makes them black without the gloss and mess on wheels. If wheels are somewhat clean I'll use Griot's spray wax (remember the cleaners), if they covered in brake dust and I'm hand washing I'll do the wheels first with Griot's wheel cleaner, awesome stuff.

If you shop at Griot's or Autogeek get one of the "kits" they sell, you can get some good microfibers and other products thrown in to try out. You'll figure out a pattern of cleaning that works for you. Everyone is different and likes different stuff. I was lucky to have a buddy that's a detail freak, concours level detailer and set me on the path of getting some good products to start with. Now I have a whole cabinet full of stuff and love recon and detail on cars. I have a dealer lic and buy and sell "fun" cars...porsches, BMW, Mercedes, CTSv, etc. Spend a few hundred on good products and don't look back. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts