F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my SCAB second week of May and noticed that the factory used clip on weights to balance the wheels. I pointed this out to my salesman that the Minnesota winter driving will cause the aluminum wheels to corrode where the weights are attached but he did not take the hint.:smiledown:

So my son:smileup: is a mechanic and offered to balance the wheels using adhesive style weights. Today he took the Raptor to work. It turns out the wheels were up to 5 oz out of balance and the clip on weights were actually causing more out of balance than if they were not used. After my son completed the balancing, the wheels and tires are now with in a 1/4 ounce and the ride is much better. My Raptor was made on 4/20/2011 and I am sure mine was not the only one balanced with a out of spec machine ( or operator). Should be covered under warranty however they will probably want to still use the clip on weights.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting. Mine was built 5/3/11. I'll have to take it up to my local wheel guy and see if mine is out of balance. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
38 Posts
clip on weights are the easiest way to balance a tire. i worked in a tire shop and balancing tires like these are a pain. for a tire to be 5oz off balance means they didnt even try to balance it probably jus slapped a weight on it. i'll have my balance checked out when i get my truck

·
Registered
208 Posts
When you mount the tires they dont seat completely for a few miles. Maybe just the break-in time needed for the tires to seat was causing them to be out of balance. I always get my tired rebalanced a few hundred miles after I mount them. Seems to help.

·
Registered
591 Posts
One reason I always have my tires and wheels road force balanced. The Fuel Octane wheels and 18 inch Red Letter Grabbers on my Raptor are smooth as glass!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts