F-150 Raptor Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my SCT tuner (well I'll have it on Friday) - and I will need to customize 3 tunes. This is for my 2010 Raptor 5.4.

I was planning to get 3 tunes of varying degree:

1. Stock/Untuned
2. Performance
3. Economy (increase MPG, like for long trips)

I was wondering what tune settings I should get? Some of these are obvious, but things like Transmission setup (Race/Chill/Street/Stock??) I don't know what to choose. I don't want to break my tranny obviously.. But I want to get rid of the Throttle lag and also get the above tuning options for improved performance and improved mpg..

Thoughts? Can you guys post what tunes you got as examples?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have this for my escape, but. Don't waste 1. on stock. Stock is backed up under stock on the tuner, you get 3 custom tunes. Or are you wanting to go back to stock a lot?

I went:
Towing oct 87
Performance oct 87
Eco oct 87

Ended up staying on performance as a 4 cylinder escape sucks w/ 4wd. I also had them firm the shift points up on all of them. As the escape's trans is a tad weak.

You could do performance 91 oct, performance 87, towing, or eco 91, eco 87, performance 91 etc. Lots of options. But if you chose someone to buy the SCT from, I got mine from Torrie, they may have suggestions on what you want to do with the trans. Usually they firm/make the shifts quicker for sure. For my purchase, it was free tunes for ownership of the unit as it is "canned" tunes. So not too bad, but I just leave it on 87 performance. I saw better mpg with performance than the eco tune as then I had to push the peddle more to get going...but I hate going slow.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info Northvibe. Thanks. Will leave the stock as a backup then and get 3 tunes. Didn't think about "towing" what does it change exactly? I might just do Perf 87, Perf 93, and Eco 87.. I got 3 tunes with mine and can buy more if need be.. I'm not opposed to the Shift changes as long as it doesn't prematurely wear my transmission.. ???

·
Registered
153 Posts
On my first 5.4L I had 87 econ, 87 tow and 93 perf. They worked great. Figured that I want performance I am not going to race around with only 87. If I am going to race around I was going to use the best fuel I could get... and if I was towing I wanted to use the cheapest fuel I could get... I never used the 87 econ only useed the 87 tow and 93 perf... Worked great for me

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any more thoughts on this?

Anyone have any comments on the transmission tweaks? Firmer/harder shifting? Is anyone not doing it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm in the market for a tuner for my 5.4 at the moment also. My main objective is for a vast improvement in throttle response and shift points and firmness. Firming up the shift should actually improve trans life as it is not slipping clutches as much...thats my understanding anyway...

·
Registered
139 Posts
For sct, they usually up the line pressure in the trans so the shifts are quicker but feel harsh. What that does is cause less friction, so less heat in trans. Better but you'll feel it shift. I had them up the pressure in my escape to 90% maybe in the performance tune. But you can go in and change it. The Eco tune firms up he shifts but lowers the shift points as well. They are not as firm as performance by any means.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Anyone know what the "Strategy Tune" does on the default SCT SF3 tuner? It looks like I can still adjust octane/towing/spark/limiters/trans/etc.. so what is the point of the 3 custom tunes if I can do everything with the pre-installed "Strategy" tune?

Also I looked up my "Strategy" code and it showed 7 characters than on the next line 5 more. Edit: I think I figured out the 2nd line is for the trans strategy??

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can edit some simple settings with the SCT, but it is kind of a pita and slow. All done on the handheld tuner. You pay for pre-done custom "canned" tunes. Someone did all the work to get a generic canned tune that should work. So don't feel like you are getting ripped off as you can tweak your own (few) settings. It isn't as tweakable as Horsepower tuners (HPT) or trifecta, but I like that I can change my trans pressure.

As for the specific "strategy tune", not sure, I have not looked into ford tunes since I got my Escape SCT 3 years ago.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I got my tunes done at 5 star and stayed with all 87 octane. If you add a CAI, or plan to, they can build a tune for that. I noticed better shifting. The Strategy code is your stock codes. Lets stay you take the truck to the dealer and they reflash your transmission, the reflash will change the strategy code. Therefore, if you had custom tunes made and then the dealer reflashes, you would then have to have your tunes redone to match the new strategy codes.....I hope im making sense???

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just talked to someone else who used 5Star. What happens is 5Star picks your tunes FOR YOU. You basically get to say 87 perf or 87 eco or 91 or 93 or whatever... And you can say what mods you have. Very basic...

http://www.5startuning.com/vehicle-info.php

I got My SCT 3015 from MPT, and they have a TON of configurable options (too many LOL). So I got to pick what kind of shifting I wanted. Not sure if more options = better though, cuz it is kind of confusing. But it is nice to see they let you choose at least.. Here's the form I used for my 3 included MPT tunes...

http://www.morepowertuning.com/customtuneform

I picked "Street" shifting for all 3 of my tunes. It seems conservative yet better than stock. Should be great. Can't wait to get the tunes (should arrive via email any day now!!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts