Wtf Happened To My Truck. | Ford Raptor Forum - F-150 Raptor Forums

Wtf Happened To My Truck.

Discussion in 'GEN 1' started by Tommy34, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Tommy34

Tommy34 New Member

Vehicle?:
    2013 Raptor SCREW
    Color?:
    Oxford White
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    I have had my 2013 SCREW for almost two years now and have loved the thing. Up until yesterday. I have never had a car act so weird on me and I am highly considering replacing my beloved raptor today.

I left work yesterday and got on the freeway, I made it about 1 mile and suddenly the engine lost power at about 80mph. It felt as if the truck had run out of gas even though I still had 1/4 of a tank. I pulled to the side of the road and popped the hood. No visible issues or strange smells. Hopped back into the truck to try and fire it back up. I turn the key and it starts to crank but no fire. When I let go of the key, the truck continues to crank until I turn the key off. Figure I should try to put gas into the truck, maybe the gauge was reading wrong. Add 5gallons of gas, try to start truck. Now it will try to fire but stumble on itself and still will not fire up.

I read some various forum posts and see that a common crank/no fire issue is fuse 27. Check said fuse and see no issues.

I turn the key off and now the sync screen is flickering, the gauges are all flicking their needles, and the drivers seat and the steering wheel are moving all around.

I call my friend from work to come flat tow me back, get the truck in motion and about half way back (maybe .7 miles) the truck stars freaking out saying service stabilitrac, service brake system. The sync system shuts off and now I have no gauge lights or anything. I can’t roll up my windows, basically no electrical power.

I have to jump the battery (which was perfectly fine 30 min ago) just to get my window rolled up. Figure I’ll try to start the truck, maybe it was a voltage issue. Same thing, tries to start but stumbles all over itself.

Needless to say, I am thoroughly disappointed with what has happened. For a 5 year old $50,000 truck I expected a lot more. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Otherwise I am taking it to a dealership, trading it in and cutting my losses.

2. LZinAZ

LZinAZ New Member Military

Vehicle?:
    2014 Ford Raptor
    Color?:
    Ruby Red
    Engine:
    GEN1 6.2L
    Tommy34--have you figured this out yet? I've got a '14 SCREW and not sure how different it is from your '13. I was in automotive a few years ago but it was before Raptors were born so I'll do some guessing.

-Have you had the alternator output and battery checked? It might explain some of the voltage problems, jumping to start it, and some of the other oddities. A vehicle can only run for so long on just the battery if it isn't being recharged by the alternator. Not being able to close the windows and screens flickering would indicate the battery was failing since it wasn't recharged.

-Can your truck have been hacked or picked up a virus? I know the '14s can get on a wireless network so wondering if maybe yours was hacked and/or picked up a virus via wireless. How to resolve it is a question though, but you could try disconnecting the battery for at least an hour; most vehicles today have keep-alive timers for radio, seats, etc.. Disconnect both cables and touch them together. Not sure if this will work but it should reset everything back to factory. If this does work then you might have to do a re-learn drive where you drive it over 35 MPH for a few minutes; just normal driving no hard accelerations or decelerations.

-You don't mention if anything has been done to it recently but do you have any aftermarket items added that might mess with the vehicle's computer? I can't think of any good examples as I've kept mine fairly stock. It wouldn't be anything like fog lights or tires but maybe a different sound system, radar scanner, things like that tap the electrical system. Possibly something has been wired into the computer's circuitry by mistake. Vehicle computers are looking for specific voltages and something that changes them can cause weird problems.

-Any collision damage that may have caught up with you? No good examples here either but wondering if a previous repair might have rubbed thru a wire somewhere.

Whatever it is sounds like electrical so you can eliminate known goods like fuel since you added 5 gallons, mechanical since it was running fine until the event occurred, etc. The trouble is resolving electrical problems can be very difficult to find and repair.

Not sure I have anything else for you but if you happen to know someone with a same year and similarly equipped you could try swapping parts until your faulty part is identified. This would include things in the ignition circuit, computer, possibly some of the body control modules since you mention seats moving and LCD screen flickering.

Best of luck on this one,
    LZinAZ

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018