F-150 Raptor Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of ya guys manned up and tested that truck out? I drive 70 miles of traffic free, dirt road. The treck is full of jumps large sweeping curves and wild critters. Currently bouncing a lifted mega cab down the roads but it really doesnt like it at all. So i just was wondering if the videos on the net were just clever commercials, or the real deal?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Any of ya guys manned up and tested that truck out? I drive 70 miles of traffic free, dirt road. The treck is full of jumps large sweeping curves and wild critters. Currently bouncing a lifted mega cab down the roads but it really doesnt like it at all. So i just was wondering if the videos on the net were just clever commercials, or the real deal?
I had mine airborne several times.
A couple times out of a wash, about 2' high, almost vertical wall onto flat ground. It leapt fine, landed flat with no rebound and used 100% of the suspension with no harsh bottoming. The front tires rub in the upper wheel well but not enoough to damage anything. Also, the front skid plate and tow hooks scraped on the approach. The truck felt smooth and controllable, had about a second of airtime and I estimate about 2' off the ground. I hit it at about 20mph, like with my Tundra Jump Truck, and gassed it as soon as the front compressed on the approach. You can see the terrain on google maps, 31002 N 56th St, Cave Creek, AZ, United States choose the street view to "drive" it.
Another time over a small, 3', rise in the road at about 35 and the truck was stable. When it landed, I had just cleared another, smaller whoop and into the rise of the third. Front tires rubbed the inner wheel well, but slightly and the cross member and skid plate ground the dirt. Again, not harsh, no real bottom to the suspension was felt.
Another couple times, about 50 mpg on a backroad near crown king arizona, smooth slope and it was really smooth. Didnt use the full travel but did wake up my 9 year old boy sleeping in the back seat when we got weightless for a second.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had mine airborne several times.
A couple times out of a wash, about 2' high, almost vertical wall onto flat ground. It leapt fine, landed flat with no rebound and used 100% of the suspension with no harsh bottoming. The front tires rub in the upper wheel well but not enoough to damage anything. Also, the front skid plate and tow hooks scraped on the approach. The truck felt smooth and controllable, had about a second of airtime and I estimate about 2' off the ground. I hit it at about 20mph, like with my Tundra Jump Truck, and gassed it as soon as the front compressed on the approach. You can see the terrain on google maps, 31002 N 56th St, Cave Creek, AZ, United States choose the street view to "drive" it.
Another time over a small, 3', rise in the road at about 35 and the truck was stable. When it landed, I had just cleared another, smaller whoop and into the rise of the third. Front tires rubbed the inner wheel well, but slightly and the cross member and skid plate ground the dirt. Again, not harsh, no real bottom to the suspension was felt.
Another couple times, about 50 mpg on a backroad near crown king arizona, smooth slope and it was really smooth. Didnt use the full travel but did wake up my 9 year old boy sleeping in the back seat when we got weightless for a second.
Yes, you are my hero. Finally sombody mans up..

·
Registered
58 Posts
roser,

Could you compare (at all) the Raptor to your Toyota Tundra "'jump truck"? Has the Raptor lived up to your expectations from an SVT vehicle? I'm guessing most owners won't have a basis for comparison like yourself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
roser,

Could you compare (at all) the Raptor to your Toyota Tundra "'jump truck"? Has the Raptor lived up to your expectations from an SVT vehicle? I'm guessing most owners won't have a basis for comparison like yourself.

Thanks!
The main reason I got it is because it's DONE. All the cool gadgets and comfort, a Warranty and it performs almost as well at the extreme and way better in the mild stuff. The Ford is substantially softer at all speeds.
My Toy has Sway-Away coil overs, Uniball joints, Camburg arms and Fox bumpshocks. Over the same terrain it didn't use as much of the suspension but it had more tire rub and cross member drag on full stuff because it had almost 14" travel and it was stiff on the slow small stuff ( about 95% of the driving).

The Ford is a bit less capable but feels better when driving because it's tuned really really well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts